Monday, 23 July 2012

Game Design - Don't Waste My Time


I had a bit of a think about Conquest’s design today, and I think I might have to look at restructuring the start of the game a little bit.
Right now, I’m going through 3 screens and 5+ minutes before I reach the first enemy encounter. Considering that this is a small game anyway - that’s kind of a lot!
Regardless of how long the player’s relative attention span is, the first few minutes of the game should accurately sum up what the game is about, and what will be expected of the player. That means giving the player control as soon as possible, and demonstrating what kind of gameplay mechanics they can expect from the game.
An example of a great game where this was done poorly? Persona 4. Persona 4 may be one of my favourite RPGs and games of all time, but that doesn't excuse it from a really slow start which gives players a bad impression of what the game is about.
I recommend anyone who hasn't played this game to pick it up and give it a shot. But just know that the first three hours of the game are dedicated to exposition. Three hours before you’ll reach any sort of proper combat, and another hour or so before the game really opens up and lets you explore. That’s not great!
Contrast this to many older jRPGs where the player was thrown into the action straight off the bat. Super Mario RPG - where the player is immediately thrown into Bowser’s castle to fight through a series of mooks before battling the king of Koopas himself.
While I’m focusing on RPGs here because they’re relevant to my own game, it’s not like this isn't an issue with other genres too. Recent Zelda games, Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, each took several hours before any action really started. Link to the Past and the original NES Zelda games wasted no time in this respect, dropping you right into a dangerous world while still being given enough necessary backstory. It was a nice balance.

Tuesday, 17 July 2012

ConQuest Update: More Spriting, plus game balancing


Okay, so I’ve already established that my main goal for now is to polish the first section of the game and turn it into something playable and presentable. 
Or at least, I hope I’ve established that. If I haven’t said it already, I’m saying it now.
This week marks my first one back at Uni, but I’m still finding some time to work on various things. Here’s a boss sprite that I finished up yesterday. Or at least, he’s good enough for now.
I ported him into the game and started playing around with the boss encounter. Stuff I tested included:
  • the health and defenses of the boss enemy
  • attack power and different attacks the boss could use
  • weaknesses and how the player might be able to use skills like a healing spell and earth attack to make the fight easier
  • the optimum level for a player to be before taking on the boss, along with the level the player would most likely be after going through the forest area
it’s a lot of stuff to consider! And even after fiddling around with everything, I realised something was missing. The fight just felt too boring.
A lot of RPGs will make their boss battles interesting by turning them into a puzzle of sorts. The battle will appear tough at first until a solution appears, which will make the fight much easier. Some puzzles might be simple, but they’re a lot more engaging than simply attacking and healing over and over.
So here’s a really rough development thing I drew up tonight. “Sexy Pichus” or something. Like“Sexy Tails” but hopefully a little less painful to look at? 
That said - I really don’t like seeing these sorts of cosplays at conventions. If you’re cosplaying a character like Yoko Littner and are able to pull it off - that’s great! But taking a character and changing its design completely as an excuse to wear a revealing top and fishnets — it really rubs me the wrong way.
Anyway. These two will function as healers/status dealers/something along those lines. Just something to make the fight more entertaining. I’ll probably make an update when I finish their sprites.
That’s all for today, though. Hopefully more to come soon. :)

Tuesday, 12 June 2012

ConQuest Update: More Spriting and Progress

Today was pretty good. After a fair amount of time without any major progress, I managed to finish scripting the boss encounter for the first area of the game and fixed up some maps in the process.


My job now is to polish up the first area of the game - turn it into something playable and perhaps “fun” before moving on with the rest of the game. So I’m simultaneously working on sprites and menus and equipment and secrets and yeah. There’s a lot I want to do. Here’s an enemy I created last year that some of you may remember.

Naruto cosplayers are pretty common at conventions, so they’re another mook for the player to take their anger out on! I previously faced problems when I tried to scale this art down to fit in the game. It ended up looking pretty shitty (as if my art wasn’t mediocre enough as it was!)

It looks so-so when uploaded to tumblr, but within the game engine this sprite looks pretty damn horrible and blurry. But lately, I decided I’d try and combat this by doing pixel art instead. A pretty painstaking process, but I think it’s worth the trouble in the end.




I may edit this slightly later on, but I feel happy with it for the most part. The shading’s a bit off and I might need to do a bit more Sel-Out with those black edges — but otherwise it seems pretty decent. Now that he’s done, I’m going to work on some terrain sprites to get the game looking a bit prettier. I might look for some placeholders where possible, but I’d really like to practice my spriting and make some cool art on my own. Stay tuned.

Share Float