Monday, 4 July 2011

ConQuest Development Blog - Day 4

I know these posts are fairly close together and there's a lot of reading here, but I'm trying to catch up with them since I've been posting them on a tumblr blog at the same time. Anyway -


Four days down already! This time around I have a video to do the talking for me. I’ll try to figure out how to package files properly for a playable demo by the end of this week. :D



Yeah, that’s the game so far. Today I...

1. Created the recruitment  scene for Snake. Worked out pretty easily without too many hassles at all, actually. (Snake is a placeholder name btw, it was just because the sprite in particular sort of looked like Solid Snake)

2, Figured out how to do public switches, or Control Switches as RPG Maker calls them. Before I was using private switches, called Self Switches. I still use these, but now in conjunction with public ones.

Why are they used? When using a private switch, you are only working with one event. Public switches allow you to control stuff outside of the event they’re contained in.

An example of a public switch would be when changing the dialogue of other characters after an event has occured. I make sure Snake doesn’t let you recruit him until after you have talked to Franziska (again, placeholder name).



image
Here's a picture. Because bitches love pictures. This is just the editor with the first map.



3. Edited the map and tileset.
I had already done this to a larger extent with past RPG Maker projects, I just needed a quick refresher. I had to resist the temptation to go all out, though. While I’m more familiar with the art side of things, I can guarantee that this project would get no where if I focused on art alone. Maybe at a later time.

Despite this I sort of regret not having a train there for the first shot. Even if it was a crappy one. It just doesn’t really work without one. :C

4. Finished a custom battler sprite
This is the first of hopefully many cameos in the game. I wanted to capture the feeling of being at a convention and recognising a lot of characters from famous games - even if you didn’t necessarily know their names. Real fans of the games will be able to recite names with ease, though. So instead I plan on using fun, descriptive names for the characters which don’t state outright who they are.
If you’ve played the Pikmin games before, think to the item names. As the player you already recognise the items and have your own names for them, but the in-game names were quite humorous (at least, to me). The below examples are hardly the best, I mean one object was a freaking Duracell Battery, but they’ll have to do.


image

That’s the sort of idea I’m going for with enemy and NPC names. But I really want to stray away from everyday adjectives and nouns. “Fat” and “Stupid”, for example. Even using the word Hambeast for certain characters - as good of a word as it is - it doesn’t feel like it fits in with the rest of the writing style I’m going for.

Oh right. Well, here’s the sprite that I managed to finish, anyway. I posted it on its own yesterday. I’m pretty happy with this art style overall, but I may need a tablet soon - drawing this out with a mouse absolutely KILLED my wrist.
image
Goals for tomorrow:
  • you know what, screw the name entry screen. I’ll probably just give the main character his own name, since he speaks on his own and has a character of his own. I don’t really understand games that let you name a character after yourself, then give the character history without your consent.
  • continue to flesh out the first few areas of the game like the second screen. Add tutorial fights, more NPCs.
  • Write out a proper story. I have to be careful with this one, though - I don’t want to spend too much time doing stuff that isn’t directly involved with the engine.
  • create another enemy sprite which can actually be used and isn’t just a character cameo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, yo! Or at least, a supportive/interesting one!

Share Float